I think it is my best so far to replace the cereals I used to eat. Leaving wheat product behind was a bit difficult in the beginning, and as a family who's kids still enjoy wheat cereals, wasn't easy.
Feel free to substitute any nuts or seeds you like in this recipe, but the flax meal is essential, and the coconut is helpful. These will absorb the liquids and this is what will form the clumps -- otherwise you just have toasted nuts and seeds with some flavoring. Because it is totally nuts and seeds, it is pretty rich.
These recipe is easy and you can even enjoy the nuts as snack.
Yield: 12 Servings
· 1 cup raw almonds
· 1 cup raw walnuts
· 1 cup raw pecans or cashew
· 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
· 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
· 1/2 cup flax seed meal
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup water
· 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
· 1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup (or ¼ cup of Honey raw)
1. Heat oven to 150°C. Cover baking sheet with sides with a silicon mat or greased parchment paper.
2. Roughly chop the nuts. You can do this in a food processor, but if you do, start with the harder nuts -- the almonds in this recipe or filberts (hazelnuts) if you use them. Once they are chopped up a bit you can add the softer nuts (walnuts, pecans). Otherwise the softer ones will become meal before the hard ones are chopped.
3. Melt the butter or coconut oil - you can microwave it in the bowl you're going to use for mixing (although you can mix right on the baking sheet), if you wish.
4. Mix the syrup and coconut oil or butter together.
5. Combine the nuts, coconut, seeds, and salt. If you're doing this on the baking sheet, add the water first and mix (hands work best), and then the oil/butter and syrup mixture. Otherwise, just combine it all in a bowl and turn out onto the baking sheet. Press into an even layer.
6. At this point, it's good to taste it. It's going to end up tasting a little less sweet, so judge your own desire for sweetness and add more if you want.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, stir around and bake for another 25 minutes. Bake until fragrant and lightly browned on the surface.
8. Let cool completely in pan. It will crisp as it cools. Store in sealed container. Serve with yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. If you like, add dehydrated blueberries or strawberries.
Make about 6 cups -- 12 servings.