But since last June, I make my own cream cheese once a month, and it is very easy.
What you need:
- 500ml whole milk
- 500ml full cream 35% or more
- 2 TBS buttermilk
- A dash rennet disolved in one tsp water (or what is written on your rennet)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat the milk and the cream up to 24°C. Remove from the heat
- Add the buttermilk and stir it in for 2 minutes
- Add the rennet
- Cover your pan with a lid and roll it in a towel and let it stand at room-temperature for 14 hours
- After 14 hours the milk looks like yogurt.
- Prepare a bowl with a strainer lined with a piece of cheesecloth
- Spoon your yogurt into the cheesecloth. Clip the corners of the cloth together and allow to drain over the bowl (cupboard handles and safety pins can come in handy here)
- Let it drain for about 7-10 hours or desired firmness is reached
- Mix in a 1/4 teaspoon salt or other flavorings as desired. Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate
My whole family enjoys the organic cream cheese, which I could not find in any store. Now I have a small ingredient-list in compare with store-bought one.